Not so long ago I’d have been the first person to pour scorn on the idea of a new year’s resolution which makes me a cynical shit, but then I was (and still am) like that with lots of things.
Fortunately, like many people, I am also prone to radically changing my mind about certain things. Not all things mind you, which makes me an inconsistent and, therefore, unreliable source of friendship or advice. That said, I can be relied upon to argue about nearly anything, and often change my standpoint halfway through, or right at the end.
Anyhow, next year is, I feel, opportunistic. You could say that about any year, month, week or day, I know, but a definitive marker in time is a good thing. We benefit from lines in the sand, from having a start line, a launch pad etc.
So, I’m putting my cards on the table. Opening things up to be observed and noted, and so that i won’t feel so comfortable ignoring my attempts at change in a few week’s time, when it all starts seeming a bit too much like hard work.
Here are the things I’m going to do next year.
1. Spend less days watching TV than days watching TV.
2. Read a book a week.
3. Finish the book I’m writing.
4. Finish the other book I’m writing.
5. Complete the pitches I keep going on about.
6. Get my new tattoo.
7. Get back to running properly.
8. Start/Finish the paintings I’m doing/haven’t started yet.
9. Take my wife out at least monthly.
10. Accept that I have to go to work and try to enjoy it.
11. Count my blessings.
I do do number 11 more and more these days, but it’s a good one to remind yourself about.